Day 2: USIL Orientation

View from the Plaza de Armas
May 18, 2018
Altitude sickness is real, but fortunately my only symptoms have been a bad headache and some difficulty breathing after going upstairs or talking a lot. I don't know if it was the water, the ibuprofen, or the coca tea, but an hour after waking up I felt perfectly fine. Coca(ine) tea is the best thing ever but it's illegal in the US because coca leaves are used to make cocaine. People here swear that it helps with altitude sickness and I must say I do believe them now.

So far we've had potatoes for almost every meal of the day, including breakfast. And tea.

We had to get up early today for a Spanish placement exam so we could enroll in classes for next week. The exam had a written and speaking part, but it wasn't bad. After finishing, we had a few hours until orientation so all of the students hung out for a while and walked around the city. There was a parade going on in the Plaza de Armas, so we could hardly walk around but we went into a few shops where the locals hand crafted stuff.

USIL



CISabroad students with Mila




Qorikancha

View from the Plaza de Armas. Pictures just can't capture how pretty it is.

One of the cathedrals in the Plaza de Armas

Sandro met us at USIL to take us home for lunch, but this time he wanted to show us how to use the buses here. There's a ton of them and they're super crowded, but they're cheaper than the taxis. I don't know if I'll take the bus again because its very likely I'll get pick-pocketed at some point if I do. The other girls and I tried to find the mall after lunch, but it took us walking by it 3 times to actually find it. We finished off the day playing Jenga with Gabriela, our host sister, and hanging out with Joaquin, our host brother.

Jenga! Featuring Jess, Joauqin's feet, Hannah, and Gabriela's knees

Fried banana is one of the best things ever. I've never taken so many pictures of food in all of my life.


Comments