 |
| Sittin' on Machu Colca |
May 26, 2018
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to go on a bigger trip outside of Cusco today because I had two field trips, one with each of my classes. That was fine with me though because the trips were to two incredible places that I wouldn’t have thought to have gone to on my own.
For the first trip, we visited some recently-discovered ruins called Machu Colca. Basically, it was a gigantic, ancient refrigerator. The view there was incredible. I was especially amazed because it was my first time seeing snow-capped mountains. It would seem the mountains aren’t going to be snow-capped much longer, though. Only 30 years ago, all of the mountains there were completely covered in snow, but now only a few are - and only at the very top.
 |
| Machu Colca |
 |
| Wayyy up, above the clouds. |
 |
| Nayyyyy (or whatever sound a donkey makes) |
 |
| On the hill in the center of the pic, there are more ruins that just haven't been uncovered yet, similar to the ones we visited. Apparently there's uncovered stuff like that everywhere in Peru, so I thought that was pretty cool. |
 |
| Yeah, sorry. I took a lot of pictures right here. |
 |
| Professor Yadira! |
 |
| The donkies decided to hop in. |
 |
| Never seen such a young shepherd. Actually, I've never seen any shepherd. |
After Machu Colca, we went to Moray. This area was a huge agricultural experiment for the Incas, which consists of a bunch of circular terraces. It's hard to tell in the pictures, but these terraces are huuuge. Not just wide, but pretty deep too.
 |
| Moray |
 |
| Moray |
After Moray, we returned to Cusco. Then I had to go on my second field trip with my other class. For this one, we visited the black market of Cusco. Really, it was just a bunch of tarps and tents set up on the streets of an area about 5 blocks wide and long. You could find anything you need here. There was food, clothes, a junk yard, electronics, and a whole bunch of hand crafted stuff among other things. A whole block was dedicated to clothing, the majority of which our professor told us came from Goodwill. Sadly, animals were sold there too. There was this large stretch on one of the streets where they sold puppies. Apparently if they don’t get sold, the people will just throw the animals in the trash. There is a huge problem in Cusco, if not all of Peru, with the number of stray animals.
 |
| My professor decided to make me model shaman attire for the class. Also, yes, we are wearing our backpacks on the front. Pick-pocketing is real. |
 |
| I have never seen so many cute kids in my life. This picture may be creepy, but I have no regrets. |
Comments
Post a Comment