Day 31: Inca Trail & World Cup

Room where we watched the Peru vs Denmark game

June 16, 2018
On this Saturday, I went with one of my classes to part of the Inca trail to pick up trash. The funny thing, though, was that I'm pretty sure we went to the part of Cusco with the least amount of trash to, you know, pick up trash. Anyway, we found some little bits and pieces and got to take in a pretty view. After cleaning up the trail, we went to this small village to visit a guinea pig farm and a strawberry farm. Peru was playing Denmark in the World Cup on this day so everyone was eager to get back to the city to watch the game with all the fans. Unfortunately, one of the tires on our van broke so we got stuck in this little place during the whole game. I think it all turned out for the best though. There was one tv in this little house/store/thing. The room was probably 12 ft X 12 ft but we all squeezed in there with a few of the locals. At half time, we got some of the young boys to play soccer with us outside. The people there spoke Quechua so it was kind of difficult to communicate with them, but we had fun nonetheless. Peru may have lost the game, but I still had fun watching it in that little village.

Daniel and I attempting to recreate American Gothic

Guniea pig / cuy farm



When we got back to the city (we rode the bus even though the wheel was still broken), a few other people and I ate lunch at this place called Papachos. It felt very American there, but I have no regrets. I had been craving a burger for a while and their burgers were amazing. After eating, we hung out in the Plaza de Armas for a bit because there was some kind of festival going on with live music.

Later that night, Jess and I returned to the Plaza de Armas for the festival of lights. Unfortunately, we missed the bulk of the fireworks because traffic was so bad. We got stuck in our taxi for so long that we decided to get out and walk the rest of the way. I had never been in such a large crowd. I feel like there may have been more people out and about that night than during Corpus Christi.

We missed the fireworks but there was still music going on and stuff

Comments