Days 19-23

Raqchi

June 4-8, 2018
Not much went on this week other than class and homework and the usual stuff. I did go on two field trips though, one to an Incan site called Raqchi and the other two the San Francisco Convent. At the convent, we went at night and were able to see the catacombs. The building flooded a while back, so the original bodies weren't in there, but they did put some of the washed up bones back in there. There was a cool inscription on the entrance "Lo que eres, fui. Lo que soy, serás" which means "What you are, I was. What I am, you will be." I don't know why, but I really liked that. We also got to see the coolest library I have ever witnessed (couldn't find any pictures since it was just opened recently). It was super old. The books were from around the 15th and 16th century if I remember correctly. In the building, we also saw what was apparently the 3rd largest painting in the world. It took up a whole wall. I wasn't able to take pictures inside the convent, but maybe I can find a few on google to put on here hehe.

Here's a few pictures:



They are currently restoring these colcas.

Only picture I was able to take at the convent.

One of the tombs. Ps not my pic. Nor are any of the rest of these.


The choir room! Wow this place was incredible. The whole room was carved out of wood. It was beautiful.


The painting. "La Genealogía de la Orden Franciscana" by Juan Espinoza de los Monteros in 1699. It is 12m X 9m or about 40ft X 30 ft.

Comments