Day 18: Machu Picchu



June 3, 2018
Machuuuuu Picchuuuuu. I was so excited I didn’t even mind waking up at 5 to get in line for the bus up the mountain. So far in Peru, the weather had been perfect. Every day had been sunny and in the 60s, so I guess that caught up with us on this day. It rained. All day. We intended to get to Machu Picchu early enough to see the sunrise, but it was so foggy you could hardly see past a few feet in front of you. Despite the weather and less-than-perfect view, Machu Picchu was incredible. Even now (and I’m writing this like 10 days later), it hasn’t hit me that I got to see THE Machu Picchu, one of the wonders of the world. Like wow. I feel so lucky.

The bus ride took about 20 minutes. It was on a small winding road up a mountain with huge drop offs and not enough room for two cars to pass each other. Anyway, we made it there alive. The ticket for Machu Picchu allows for two entrances in one day. For our first entrance, we had a tour guide to show us around. For our second entrance, we were free to explore on our own and do a hike to either the Sun Gate or the Inca Bridge. Peru is really awesome about protecting historical sites and nature. I have never seen so many places declared UNESCO World Heritage sites as in Peru. At the parks here, you don’t see huge parking lots or bathrooms or restaurants in the middle of important landmarks like in the United States. They make sure that each site looks as original as it possibly can. I love it. Anyway, that's why there were two entrances allowed: the bathrooms and restaurants are located outside of the park.

The tour lasted about 3 hours and the whole time it rained and was foggy but I still enjoyed it. For my second entrance, I decided to hike up to the Sun Gate. I was hoping that the weather would clear up by the time I got up there, but it didn’t. Nevertheless, the hike was still beautiful. Machu Picchu is located at the edge of the rainforest, so there was a lot of cool stuff to see. 


First View

Should have seen that classic view right here. Don't worry, it's coming.

Millipede!






Inca Trail up to the Sun Gate


At the Sun Gate

By the time I got back to Machu Picchu from the Sun Gate, the fog had cleared up enough to see the ruins and mountains and everything. It was incredible. I like to think of the fog as the curtain at the start of a concert or show. It kept everyone curious the whole day, but when it finally lifted it was so incredible and so exciting. We only had about 30 minutes of that view because we had to get back on the bus at 12, but I’m glad I got to see it at all. Hopefully I can return on a sunny day and it will be like seeing it for the first time all over again. 


Whoop there it is

Gotta get that towel out ya know








Our train ride back to Ollantaytambo wasn’t until around 6, so we had quite a while to explore Aguas Calientes. Some people went to the Hot Springs, but a few other people and I decided to get some food and watch the Peru vs Saudi Arabia soccer game since it was still rainy and cold (Peru won woohoo).


Restaurant we watched the game at

Aguas Calientes

Train ride home. The guy in the outfit danced and then the two attendants put on a fashion show.

I hope everyone gets to see Machu Picchu someday. It really is worth the trip and lives up to all the hype. I know I’m not going to be able to see everything in Peru that I would like to this time around because of my classes, so hopefully I can return some day and do the 4-day hike on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu (and see it on a sunny day).


Comments