Day 38: Huchuy Qosqo
![]() |
| At the top of the trail |
Last full day in Peru :( but it was one of my favorites!
Two friends and I hopped on a bus to Chinchero. From there, we found a taxi that would take us to the start of the trail to Huchuy Qosqo. John made a friend during that ride I think. The driver asked for his name so he could friend him on Facebook.
The hike was beautiful and secluded. There were zero other tourists on this trail. The only other people we saw on the way to the ruins were a local lady and a guy helping her. They were walking with their animals back to their village. We walked and talked with them for a while.
![]() |
| On the trail to Huchuy Qosqo. |
A few minutes into the hike, I got sick. I don't know if it was from something I had eaten or if it was just the sun, but I didn't think I would be able to finish the trail (it was more than a 10 mile walk). All turned out well though after Jack gave me some Pepto and we sat for an hour at highest point of the trail just taking in the views (also I didn't get sick the whole rest of the time I was in Peru so feeling like that for 2 hours wasn't so bad).
At the top, it was so silent and so serene. You couldn't hear any animals or bugs and definitely not any other people. I don't think I can think of another time where I was somewhere that was so silent. It was a neat moment.
![]() |
| This was a place more than any other where pictures just can't capture it. |
We continued on down the mountain and after a couple hours we made it to Huchuy Qosqo. There were only two other people there (we had actually met one of them the night before in Cusco so it really is a small world) plus the guy who took care of the place and took up money for the tickets. We sat and rested for a while with the two guys and chatted, then explored the ruins. Eventually we had to make our way down the mountain and into a different city, where we hopped on another bus back to Cusco.
![]() |
| Sigh. I miss this. |
![]() |
| Almost to the ruins :) ft John |
![]() |
| First views of Huchuy Qosqo |
![]() |
| Views from inside. Its crazy that the foundations have lasted this long. |
![]() |
| On the way back down to that little city. |
![]() |
| This part was super steep. I think each of us fell at least once. We were just zig-zagging down this little section until we reached the bottom. |
Once in Cusco, I stopped at la Canasta (a grocery store) and got a cake for our host family. The other girls and I ate dinner with them and enjoyed our last few hours with them.
![]() |
| Sandro and Joaquin |
![]() |
| Tania |
![]() |
| Abuela and Sandro |
![]() |
| Finally made Joaquin get in a picture with me with Gabi |
![]() |
| The fam and I :) |
























Comments
Post a Comment